Tuesday, September 17, 2013

365 Inspirations—260: You Have Options

"We must dare to think 'unthinkable' thoughts. We must learn to explore all the options and possibilities that confront us in a complex and rapidly changing world."—J.William Fulbright

One of the best lines of our entire trip to Peru came from our guide on the Salkantay Trip to Machu Picchu. He always gave us a briefing every morning at breakfast and my favorite thing he said each morning was:

"YOU HAVE OPTIONS!"

And then he'd clue us in on the 'normal' plan and all the other options we had. For example, instead of trekking on a service road with cars whizzing by leaving us in a blanket of dust, we had the option of foregoing this section of the trail by truck, hence saving us from a very unpleasant few hours of walking. We took this option, preferring to trek on pristine trails far from cars.

Whenever I feel like I'm stuck or don't know what to do, this line now comes to my head.

It's so true.

All of us, at some point in our lives, get stuck in our habit patterns and 'normal' ways of thinking. We may feel like there is no way out of a situation. What I've learned, however, is that we all do indeed have options. One option might not be much better than another, but all of us can choose something or some direction in our lives.

Knowing that there are options, even options we can't perceive at this moment in time, provides a sense of freedom.

Right now my husband and I stand at a crossroads. We have to do something different. I won't go into details yet, but I'm not afraid of a detour or a different direction because I know we have options. Instead of using my limited thinking mind, I'm going to leave the space open for those options to come.

Actually, I'm excited about all the options and different directions we might take. New options and directions are always breeding grounds for growth and change.

I can't wait to see what the future holds.

Do you often feel stuck, or do you believe you have options?

1 comment:

  1. Years ago I felt stuck, but I now know that I have options. Wish I would have learned that a long time ago.

    ReplyDelete