Monday, October 21, 2013

365 Inspirations—294: FOG

“Under the thinning fog the surf curled and creamed, almost without sound, like a thought trying to form itself on the edge of consciousness.”—Raymond Chadler 

The weather after my late night classes at the college was fitting to my mood. It's a Freddy Krueger kind of night out there in Seattle and I kind of understand now why this area is the perfect backdrop for vampire movies. I told my volunteer, after my class was over, that I had to go the bathroom, so he said good-bye and left. Usually we walk together to the parking lot.

I was the LAST one leaving the dark campus and just moments before my last class a teacher warned me that there have been instances of a few students getting jumped by someone at night.

I didn't pay the teacher much mind as I scurried to get ready for my class, but his words came back to me after class as I exited the building all alone into the thick fog. I had to walk about five minutes to my car. Everyone was gone from the parking lot except a figure, a person, standing there by himself. I could just barely make out his form in the fog.

My mind started racing as I thought of what I would do in case this person was 'the jumper.'

The figure was now walking fast in my direction and there was noone else in sight.

My heart pounded in my throat. I grabbed the glass bottle of water from my backpack and held it in my hand like a miniature baseball bat and practiced a few swings.

I looked behind me to see if anyone else was around.

Noone.

The figure was now between me and my car.

How on earth would I get to my car? I thought.

Just then I heard my name.

"Kathy, it's me! I just came over to make sure you made it to your car safely."

I let out a huge sigh of relief. It was my volunteer. He waited to make sure I wasn't the last one out of the parking lot. It was such a nice gesture!

Note to self: Do not walk to parking lot alone at night. Always walk with a friend or volunteer.

I know I probably just spooked myself and since Halloween is just around the corner, this is my scary story.

On the way home, I was actually inspired by the mystery of fog. We have a choice of what we imagine lurks beyond the fog. Driving home it felt like there was no past or future, because all I could see was an inch in front of my car. I was okay with being in the present finally.

Do you have much fog where you live? How do you feel about it?

1 comment:

  1. That was actually a good story. And scary! I think I would have felt the same way. There is very little fog where I live and I kind of miss it. It has so many different qualities...scary, romantic, eerie, damp, etc.

    ReplyDelete