Tuesday, June 25, 2013

365 Inspirations—176: Seattle's Abundance of Nature

“Earth does not belong to us; we belong to earth.
Take only memories, leave nothing but footprints.”—Chief Sealth (Seattle's namesake)


If you are looking for a city with an abundance of nature, Seattle's your place. Trees, ocean, beaches, rivers, lakes, streams, forests, trails, mountains—it's got it ALL.

I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I had to go far away to experience all this beauty. It's right there in my backyard!

Today, on a walk through Carkeek Park in Seattle, a 10-minute drive from our house, I witnessed nature in all her glory.

Being a Washingtonian native, I've learned to identify various plants, flowers and berries...yes, it's berry season in Washington and we have an abundance of wild berries growing right in our city parks.

Today I saw lots of ripe huckleberry and we devoured many.



I also found a field of thimble berries and many of them were ripe and ready to pick. They were delicious.



Salmon berries are just about at their peak, but we found some good ones too.



The wild roses along the path by the water smelled divine.



It was the trees that really seemed to speak on the path.....and we were listening....





Finally, we meandered down to the ocean. It was low, low tide. We took off our shoes and walked along the beach with our feet sinking into the sand.



 The smell of seaweed and salt permeated the air. We saw crabs, clams, kelp, barnacles, mussels and even this guy.....a crane!


I felt so rejuvenated walking in this park and the amazing thing is that Korean food is also just a 10 minute drive away and that's where we stopped in for lunch!


I'm realizing, after my solo trip to the country, that often the best place is right where you are. I feel lucky!

Do you like where you live? Is there an abundance of nature where you are?

9 comments:

  1. In River City, we have a a huge urban forest. In the older part of the city, there were trees, mostly Elms, along the streets. And there are large parks. Keeping up with the welfare of all the trees and plants employs many people. On the other hand, the trees provide cool walkways, and homes for lots of birds and squirrels.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An urban forest...that's my kind of place. Sounds wonderful...

      Delete
  2. I adore where I live...but then you already know that! I'm surrounded by Nature...trees, forests, wildflowers, cliffs and caves. The river flows outside my window and farmers work their small fields on the other side of the water. I awake to church bells. I have lovely neighbors in my tiny village, but a less than 5 minute drive takes me into town. And if I am really lusting after city life, I can take the train and voila! 5 hours later, I'm in Paris! It doesn't get much better than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I get to visit your corner of the world in France one day....it's on my list!!!!!

      Delete
  3. I love where I live. We do have quite a mix of nature in my neck of the woods. There were even some black bear spotted recently!! I went on three hikes so far this month but have yet to see them yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black bear! I'd love to see a black bear. We have bears here to, but I have yet to see one. So glad you are getting out and hiking a lot Keith!

      Delete
  4. I totally feel that way about where I live too....our city, Vancouver, mirrors much of your city...we live in a suburb up against the mountains where the farm lands still stretch out, where there is a huge wet lands reserve, rain forests, lakes, creeks and all with the ocean just a 25 minute drive away....heaven!
    Just this morning during an early morning walk I gave gratitude for all my area offers

    love and light Katherine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I feel Vancouver, Canada is very similar in climate and environment to Seattle. Living up in farm land against a mountain sounds divine. And the fact that you are near the ocean is a plus. I love the ocean so much. I think wherever I live, I need to know that the ocean or a sound is nearby.

      Delete
  5. I can go for some nature as right now it is 109 degrees and by the weekend 118. But it is a dry heat!! ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete