Tuesday, June 18, 2013

365 Inspirations—169: Flat Tire

"Just because something didn't work out according to the way you planned it, doesn't mean it didn't work out for the best."—Unknown

During breakfast this morning, I browsed through the paper reading stories about the first man to be completely cured of AIDS and about another woman who tried to live on sunlight, but only made it 45 days.

For the record, Washington State is not the best place in the world to try to live on sunlight. There are other places that might be more suitable, like Arizona or Death Valley for example.

 At least the news was amusing. I'll take these stories any day over the usual murder and mayhem that is normally in the paper.

I personally like the weather section. I like to read about the moon cycles, high tides, pollen levels, weather in other parts of the world. I also like to read my horoscope on occasion. I'm a scorpio.

Here's what my horoscope said:

Today is not a good day to travel

Well shoot. Today I was supposed to set out on my yoga, meditation, writing, juicing, adventuring, book researching, go-wherever-the-wind-blows (or not) odyssey.

But the cards weren't in my favor.

Not that I instantly believed this blurb written under my sign in the Seattle Times. Who writes these things anyway?

As soon as I pulled up in our driveway, after a 4-day housesitting stint down the street, I noticed my left front tire had a rather FLAT look to it.

"You probably just need some air," Yoon said.

It was going to take more than a little air to pump that thing up.

I sifted through the mail and found a Midas Tune-up Special and Yoon followed me to the auto shop.

We dropped the car off and headed out to a Thai restaurant for lunch. Later, Yoon dropped me off at the shopping area where my car was being fixed because he had some work to do. While in the dressing room trying on summer clothes, I got the call.

"You have a huge nail in your tire. There's no saving it. You are going to need some new tires."

"How much for new tires?" I asked, feeling as deflated as my left front wheel.

The man in the office did some figuring out loud and said, "Let's see....well...looks like about $450 or so."

There goes my adventure. I settled on getting two new tires for half the price and got a tune-up. So here I am, still in Seattle.

I am grateful that I didn't discover the nail and flat tire on some desolate highway all alone. That would have been an adventure I could do without.

Even though I'm still here, I feel like I've already started my travels. I'm tuning in, paying attention to the signs, and going with the flow.

Who knows where I'll be tomorrow....I'll let you know.

Do you believe in blessings in disguise?

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your misadventure! (Such a polite way of saying dratted nuisance.)

    I do remember a similar situation:

    I was feeling very down.
    My friends said, "Cheer up; things could be worse."
    I cheered up.
    Things got worse.

    Aside form that, I recently received a wonderful blessing from something a friend told me in a phone call. Helped me to make a huge change in my life.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess you can make a retreat at home, in the yard maybe. You can still do yoga and meditation - not the same as being away, but doable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry you had to postpone your adventure. But glad you are safe. Maybe that flat tire was a sign and you adventure is in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. absolutely!!!
    and isn't it true that as soon as we decide to go on a n adventure it already begins...and it rarely looks the way we thought it would!
    I have grown to love that part of the great mystery...

    much love and light Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you a Pisces? I think I got the same horoscope!

    ReplyDelete