Friday, December 20, 2013

365 Inspirations—354: Hawaiian Holiday Party

“A slight breeze cooled the Hawaiian spring air, swaying the branches of palm trees, which cast black silhouettes against the purple and orange colors of the twilight sky.”—Victoria Kahler

Why not mix it up a bit? Instead of having the traditional Christmas Party, why not have a Hawaiian Holiday Party?

Today is the day and guess what? It snowed today for the first time. Isn't that interesting. I'd been waiting for snow for so long and it decided to come on the day I'm thinking about sun and Hawaiian-like things.

Oh well, I went out and took some photos of the snow at our house this morning. Here they are:


After that, Yoon and I got to work in setting up for our Hawaiian-themed holiday party. Last Saturday, I bought some Hawaiian decorations online on Amazon. I'm a Prime member so I get free shipping in two days and these things were cheap.

I bought leis that we also used to decorate our fireplace and lamps, a really cool grass skirt for the food table, little umbrellas for my Blue Hawaii cupcakes and flip flop lights. Oh, and this cool banner of a surfer guy and hula girl that we stick our heads in. Here are some photos of my decorations:







Also, Yoon when out and bought a 5 pound pork shoulder for our Hawaiian pulled pork sliders.

Here's the recipe:

Pulled Pork Sliders

5lb pork shoulder
Two cans of root beer
Your favorite BBQ sauce
Hawaiian sweet rolls
coleslaw

Put the pork in a slow cooker, pour the root beer over the pork. Cook for about 6 hours or so.

Drain out root beer and with two forks, pull the pork apart. Place back in slow cooker with your favorite BBQ sauce and keep on warm.

Mix up a package of coleslaw with mayo, apple cider vinegar and a little mustard. I added some sliced apples and currants to mine. You can also put this on the sliders.

Slice slider rolls.

Guests can help themselves and make their own sliders.

I also made Blue Hawaii cupcakes:



Blue Hawaii Mini Cupcakes

Package of yellow cupcake mix
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/4 cup of crushed pineapple
eggs
oil

Make cupcakes according to package, but add in coconut and pineapple and less water.

Buttercream Blue frosting:

One stick butter
three cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk
vanilla to taste
blue food coloring

Whip until smooth.

Frost cupcakes after they are cool. Place one maraschino cherry on each cupcake and stick a mini cocktail umbrella through each cherry.

Yoon and I love Hawaii so much that I wasn't surprised when he said he wanted to have a Hawaiian Holiday party! It's a great way to add warmth to the season.

Have you ever hosted a holiday party? Are you going to any holiday parties this year

No comments:

Post a Comment