Saturday, April 13, 2013

365 Inspirations—103: Community

“Everybody is a story. When I was a child, people sat around kitchen tables and told their stories. We don't do that so much anymore. Sitting around the table telling stories is not just a way of passing time. It is the way the wisdom gets passed along. The stuff that helps us to live a life worth remembering.”—Rachel Naomi Remen 

The weekend has been FULL of community. I have met so many people and gone to events where I saw people face to face. It's been interesting. So much of my life is online these days with my daily blog and keeping up with e-mails, etc. It's been nice to meet, talk to and feel people in person.

On Thursday, I met my writing group, on Friday morning I met a friend for a walk and lunch, on Friday night I met another writer friend and teacher and Saturday (today) I went to a bridal shower AND met with about 10 friends from my husband's yoga community at our house.

I usually don't meet many people on the weekend, so this was a lot of interaction. I will say that perhaps we need MORE face to face communication because I think it makes a difference in the quality of our lives!
Me with my friend Chaya, a bride and mother to be!

Maybe not a whole weekend of it, but at least a little bit on a regular basis. I don't think online communication can ever substitute for person to person communication. I think I want more of that in my life.

I want to return to a simple life that is free from technology. Do you think that's possible?

I sometimes entertain the idea of living in a community of like-minded friends and sharing our passions, cooking, meals, ideas, etc. Everyone would have their own space, but we could come together whenever we wanted to and if we needed to be alone, that would be fine too.

Anyway, whatever happens, it was good to connect with people today in person.

I'm going to now rest.

Do you meet with a community regularly? Do you often meet friends and or group members face to face?

No comments:

Post a Comment