Thursday, February 14, 2013

365 Inspirations—45: A Letter to my Husband on Valentine's Day

On our Wedding Day in Korea, May 10, 2003
Dear Yoon,

Valentine's Day is just another day, right? Still, as busy as we both are, I want to take some time to tell you how much you mean to me.

I haven't always been the easiest person to be married to and have gone through my share of ups and downs. Lately, I've been more down than up.

For almost eighteen years, we've always found our way back to each other, even when things seemed shaky or like they might break apart.

It hasn't been an easy road for us. You're from the East, I'm from the West. You were a monk when I met you, I was a crazy American girl with wanderlust traveling around trying to find what the meaning of life was.

You left everything to be with me. You left the monastery, your country—pretty much everything. When you arrived at my apartment door in Korea, all you had was a tiny backpack and the clothes on your back.

You had never known a life outside the monastery, yet in that very first year of living with me, you had set up a yoga business in my living room. I came back from Christmas with family in New York City to find a bunch of people in stretch pants on yoga mats saying, "Ommmm..."

You had a knack for teaching yoga and had lots of training in the monastery and in India. You brought so much experience with you.

I can't forget the day you said, "I found a building!" I had no idea how we would pay for a building or a sign or everything else that came with forming a yoga school in Korea, but you believed it would happen and it DID! Again and again and again....

Fast forward to 2013, and you are the owner and teacher at a beautiful yoga studio near Seattle and have led retreats all over the place! You are my BIGGEST inspiration.

Because of your belief that things would work out, you have encouraged me to fulfill many of my own dreams (i.e. blogging, book writing, etc.).

I know it wasn't easy to hang up your robe and decide to walk a very different path with me. I know it took so much courage. And here you are, still walking by my side, through the thick and thin.

Thank you for being by my side. Thank you for believing in me and loving me even when things seem difficult or hard. Thank you for your gift of teaching yoga. You have inspired and helped so many people, including me.

I love you so much and I am so happy you are still with me after all these years!

Your wife,
Katherine

*To my readers:
I hope you will take the time to tell the people in your life how much you love them. It is so easy to take the people closest to us for granted.


14 comments:

  1. It means a lot, to meet that one person
    To have someone by your side who completes you and makes you whole. To love and be loved :)

    Indeed it is easy to take them for granted
    And to take life itself for granted.

    Wonderful post and letter **

    ~ Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was beautiful Katherine. Happy Valentine's Day to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVED this post. Beautiful. Happy Valentines Day to you both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mandy, Thanks for your comment. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  4. Happy Valentine day to both of you.Such a beautiful letter!! Yoon is such a inspiration to me .I always look forward for my yoga class that what i will learn from yoon today.many best wishes to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are enjoying class with Yoon! Thanks and Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

      Delete
  5. Your beautiful words touched my heart. Love to you and Yoon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful letter to your husband! Letters like that are rare and precious.

    I have read your book, Katherine, and loved the story of you and your husband, and the ways that you met so many obstacles together. It's a wonderful book, and I enjoyed it!

    My husband is precious to me, too, and he has stood by my side through some difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina, Thanks for your very kind words about my book. It means a lot to me that you took time to tell me that. I've enjoyed seeing you here each day. You are also lucky to have such a great husband who has been by your side through life!

      Delete
  7. Well that was lovely of you to share that with us. And yes Katherine tomorrow is to late to say I Love You when it can be said today/now. Cheers, Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is very true Wendy! So nice to see you here!

      Delete