Saturday, January 5, 2013

365 Inspirations—Five: Rhododendrons in Winter

“Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small it takes time - we haven't time - and to see takes time, like to have a friend takes time.” 
 Georgia O'Keeffe

Winter is here. Where I am a from it tends to be cold, rainy and dark. On occasion, we have snow or sun, but it doesn't last very long. We had snow in mid-December that lasted a day or so. Everything was frozen and silent. Nothing seemed to be growing under the blanket of snow. For many animals, it's a time to go into hibernation and wait for spring. Sometimes I feel like doing the same.

A few days ago I went on a walk with my husband. It was very cold outside and I had on my down jacket, gloves, and hat. The trees were bare. Fortunately, the sun was out and that tends to make all the difference in the world in the winter in Seattle.

As we got closer to Puget Sound I stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing along the side of the road. It's January and a rhododendron bush (our Washington State flower) was fully in bloom. I have only ever seen these flowers bloom in the spring.

I got closer to the bush to examine the flowers. They were a pale pink and were in clusters. What were they doing there? Why were they blooming?

I have no idea, but they made me happy. They made me believe that anything is possible. That even in nature, there are no set rules. Things and people can change.

Just because all the other flowers are blooming in the spring doesn't mean that this bush has to do the same. Why not show it's true colors at a time when there are no colors to be found? Why not do something different?

We could use a little color this time of year and I was inspired by this little rhododendron bush. I hope that I can also be an inspiration to people in times when life may seem cold and dark. I hope that I can also show vibrant colors when there are none to be found.

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bloom! And what a wonderful surprise to find it in January in your part of the country. I love the not-knowing of why it was there, just the enjoyment of it being there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely that your eyes saw what it had to see that day. i like these flowers and they can be seen only at higher altitude places like the Himalayas. A treat.

    Wishing you a blessed 2013 filled with beautiful sights and sounds.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan,

    Nice to see you here. Yes, t was a treat to see the flowers in full bloom! Wishing you a wonderful 2013 too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come here when the world is dark...
    I'm glad you are blogging daily, enormous task, but beneficial to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! It means a lot to me!

      Delete