Friday, January 25, 2013

365 Inspirations—25: Banana Bread (Grain and Sugar Free!)

"The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight."M.F.K. Fisher

Since my husband and I decided to go Paleo, I can't seem to stop trying out new recipes in the kitchen. I've done this recipe many times, but it's so delicious! Who says you can't have bread for breakfast? Why not try a grain free, sugar free banana bread? Add a little butter on top and perfect!

As some of you may know, I also blogged for 365 days in 2010. That time I did lessons! It was quite different from the inspirations I'm doing this year. The year I did lessons was a big year for me and I learned quite a bit. That year of lessons is also going to become my second book. I'll let you know more about that when the project is underway.

I'm finding, once again, that it is quite a challenge to blog every single day, teach full-time, do yoga 3-4 times a week and begin working on a second book, but so far I'm still here. That is a good thing. The truth is, I'm always up for a challenge and writing inspirations on my blog every single day helps me keep focused on the good things in my life. There's always something I can find that I'm inspired by.

Healthy banana bread is one of them. And it's ready to come out of the oven RIGHT NOW. Wish you could smell it! It smells divine. Just a minute while I take it out.....

I just put it on the counter top and cut a slice out while it's still hot!


Mmmmm.. Super moist and you simply can't believe that there is no sugar or grains in this.

Here's the recipe:

Two very ripe large bananas
1/2 cup of honey
3 Tbs. of coconut oil
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
3 cups almond flour
1 heaping tsp. of baking soda
handful of walnuts and raisins

Mix together the almond flour and baking soda and set aside. Mash the banana with a masher and add in honey, vanilla, eggs, and melted coconut oil (olive oil will do too). Mix this with a mixer. After that, slowly add in the dry ingredients with a mixer. Grease a bread pan and pour in. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until brown on top and firm.

Enjoy!

I also cooked a Crockpot of Italian sausage, sweet potato, lentil, onion and brussel sprout soup.


This was intuitive and completely on the fly. I did not use a recipe. Just saute everything in olive oil with a bit of cumin, a dash of Chinese five spice and a dash of cayenne. Add to beef broth in Crockpot. Cook lentils separately and rinse and add those to Crockpot too. Slow cook everything for about 4 hours.

Off to my classes at the college. Here's my question for today:

Have you ever tried doing an activity (besides the regular sleeping, eating, etc.) for 365 days? If you could choose one thing, what would it be?

4 comments:

  1. I bet the bread did smell delicious! Looks good, too!

    I've never tried anything for 365 days. My first thought in response to your question of what I would choose was to write something everyday. I write a lot for my blog, for work, and for the memoir I'm working on, but not necessarily every day.

    But I'd also like to take a walk or go for a run every day for a year. Maybe I could do both! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking and writing are excellent things to try for 365 days! Even if it were just around the block and just a few lines or a paragraph of writing each day! By the end you'd have a book and be in GREAT shape!

      Delete
  2. Doing something for 365 days in a row? Hmmm, I have a bad habit of not finishing things - not sure what I could do everyday for a year. Thanks for the recipes, I have been eating wheat free, but have decided I need to eat grain free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, wheat free was not enough for me either. Had to go completely grain free and feel much better for it. You could always try going grain free for 365 days! ^_^!

      Delete