Monday, August 5, 2013

365 Inspirations—217: Blogging

Reflection of me blogging 365 Lessons in 2010
"Thinking or dreaming about what you want to do won't get you any closer to it. Just get out there and do it!"—Katherine Jenkins

I've been blogging here since 2009! This is my little corner of the World Wide Web. It's where I share stories, connect with other bloggers, write posts about inspirational people places and things, converse with regular friends here and make new friends and discover new blogs. This is the place where I write and keep a regular practice of writing. By announcing, back on January 1, 2013, that I would write a blog post every single day, I'm holding myself accountable publicly for my writing. So far I've written 217 posts this year. That's over 7 months of blogging every single day!

Why do I do it? Well, one thing I've discovered is that blogging every day about the things and people I find inspirational has helped me to focus on the positive and inspirational in my own life. What you focus on you become. I've found this to be absolutely true for me.

Another reason why I write here everyday is because I've found that by showing up daily to this blog I've gotten in the regular habit of writing and now I can truly call myself a writer.

It's not easy to show up here and write a post every day and I can't promise you that every post I write will be fantastic. All I can promise is that I will be here and that the post I write here will be related to something that I find inspiring. 

Today it's blogging. Blogging is my inspiration. It's led me to many other blogger friends, to my agent and to a book deal. It's opened up a portal to another world I didn't know existed. It's expanded my scope of the world and connected me to people across boundaries, countries and continents. This was not possible when I was a high school student. That's perhaps why much of my ealier writing was in journals now packed away in boxes. 

I can't promise you I'll blog forever, but I'm blogging now. I'm still here writing and that in itself is something. I think it's easy to throw in the towel when things start to get tough or we lose interest or we are having a bad day. It's usually the time when most people give up. 

Lots of people want to call themselves writers or bloggers, but they don't write or blog—at least not regularly. To be good at something, you have to do it. 

Thinking or dreaming about what you want to do won't get you any closer to it. Just get out there and do it!

Do you blog or write regularly? What is keeping you from doing these things?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know what holds me back. I want to blog. I don't even know where to start! The writing would be the easy part. The getting a blog up and running is just so overwhelming...that I don't. I need to break past this and take a class or something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this interesting post.

    Of course, we can't expect, that you will write your blog every day for the next centuries. But for sure, I am enjoying to read your words on a regular basis.

    You mentioned: "...of my ealier writing was in journals now packed away in boxes..."

    What a pitty, to be honest, I like my journals more than blogging. Why? Well in my journal I can write everything, but I can't do this on a blog. So, in my eyes bloggins is more like publishing (with lots of fun) but I will still "need" my real personal and handwriting journals.

    Best regards and have a nice weekend....

    ReplyDelete