Friday, August 2, 2013

365 Inspirations—214: Reconnecting with Family


My sister, me and my nephew at our family lake cabin
“Other things may change us, but we start and end with family."—Anthony Brandt

We escaped to our family lake house. My dad is in town and my sister, brother-in-law and two nephews are here. We arrived at around 10pm, so my brother-in-law and the kids were asleep, but my sister and dad were up and it was great to sit around the dining room table and catch up. It's been a loooonnng time and I don't see these people enough!

We are here to celebrate my dad's birthday belatedly and to enjoy the time. We were up late talking and I'm just now typing this post.

One of the things I love about my family is that they are good storytellers. Some of the stories have been told many times before, but I never tire of hearing them again. I think it's one way we all connect.

Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny, so hopefully we can spend the time outside swimming and enjoying the weather. It rained all day today.

We brought food for the BBQ and I brought a cake!

Well, goodnight bloggers and blog readers.

I'm off to have sweet dreams in my cabin bed.

Do you often spend time with your extended family? Where do you go and what do you do?

2 comments:

  1. I see my family as a tiny unit of four people: my dad, my mom, me, and my brother. I've always had a small family, and it came as a shock when I met my current boyfriend and befriended his family with nearly twenty cousins, aunts and uncles, and extended cousins!

    Family really is all that matters. As I grow older I seem to realize this more and more. In my youth I was quick to think that career success and getting away were the best things, but I've become more sentimental about my family... but the friends we pick up along the way also count as family! :) It's all about who we choose to keep close to us! (Also, moving a thousand miles away from your family tends to make you appreciate them a lot more)

    (Sorry to ramble. Still loving your blog every day!)
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Disclaimer:My stylist did not approve this picture of me in my trucker hat!

    ReplyDelete