Monday, September 24, 2012

ON TOUR: Oprah Calling.....

"Next thing you know, you'll be on Oprah." This is what friends have said, but for some reason it never struck me as something that would really happen.

 To be quite honest, I've had several dreams about it. Very real dreams. Dreams so real that I had to shake my head a few times and snap myself back to reality. The thing is, I like Oprah. She is one of the top 5 people, along with His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Barack Obama, Eckhart Tolle, and Krishna Das, who I'd like to spend an afternoon with. 

So perhaps I shouldn't have shrieked out loud at midnight last Tuesday, when I got the call (or the e-mail to be precise). But I did.

I'm not good at hiding news. Never tell me a secret. Just saying.

So my husband was drifting off to sleep next to me, when I decided to check my "junk box" on my iPhone. I was scrolling past ads for CASH LOANS, daily coupons, a memory foam mattress sale, free trials for penis enlargement, a solution for hair loss, something about a magic green coffee bean and then this in the subject line:

OWN TV-Pilot Episode

This wasn't an ad for a new TV show. This e-mail was addressed to me. It started with "Hello Katherine."

I felt like I was having an out of body experience. I went on to read the rest of the message to my husband who was just about to fade off to sleep, but perked up with the news.

These were the sentences that hit me that this was REAL:

"While researching I came across an excerpt from your book Lessons from the Monk I Married and found it to be extremely powerful and a unique perspective on love.  We think it would make a great fit for the first episode."

It was a producer in Los Angeles who is putting together a pilot episode about "love" for a new series for OWN TV and he was wondering if we could do a Skype interview.

Before I could gather my wits, we were Skyping with the episode director. Here's what we looked like in our Skype interview:



Mind you, I didn't have much time to think about outfits. It all happened so fast. We were in the midst of remodeling our house and smelled of paint fumes. I'm just happy they couldn't smell where we were.

I think the interview went really well. I was informed that our recorded interview would be sent to the executive producers who would make a decision about whether or not to use our story for the show and he would let me know.

I haven't heard back yet, but I've been in this place before.

I think our story would make an excellent first episode on LOVE and they'd be silly to pass us up.

There, I said it.

In all honesty, I felt the interview went great! We had fun and we were ourselves.

No matter what happens, we were happy to have had the opportunity to interview for the show.

Today, here in the Lessons from the Monk I Married household, life continues on. I started a new quarter at the college teaching American Culture to 29 ESL students from all over the world, the monk I married got stung by bee on the way to the mailbox and his finger swelled up right before his yoga class, toxic fumes from our newly refinished bathtub cost me a few brain cells that I can't afford to lose, and our furnace went kaput. But I can't really complain. Life is quite GRAND and I'm happy for every moment in my life, even the ones that seem trying.

Calling Oprah...

Oprah, if you are out there, I'd just like to say that getting an e-mail from one of your producers really made my day, but the show must go on....




11 comments:

  1. OH, that's awesome news! I hope you hear from Oprah soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lori! Nice to see you here. How are you? Yes, I hope to hear from her soon too. Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing Katherine!! Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nice to see you here...hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  4. Wow! You are having an amazing time! Except for the paint fumes and other irritants.

    I hope your journey continues to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like life is all very exciting for you Katherine. Enjoy this season in your life. Cheers, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! I hope all is well with you. I am enjoying it! Life is a great adventure. We never know what's around the corner. All the best to you!

      Delete
  6. how amazingly exciting Katherine!!!
    bask in the blessings!

    love and light

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cat, It's been very exciting, but we haven't heard back yet. Either way, it was exciting getting the e-mail and doing the interview. Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Katherine,
    Sounds like things are going well for you. That's great.
    Best in the future for you and Yoon.

    ReplyDelete