Saturday, March 20, 2010

365 Lessons-Lesson 79: The Shit Hits the Fan When You Least Expect it to


Just when things seem to be floating along like a soft breeze, the shit finds a way of hitting the fan. It's not that bad really, it's not that good either. And I know it is what it is. It's Saturday night and I'm alone. My dear husband and I did not see eye to eye today. Things surfaced and I'd like to smooth it over like frosting on a cake, but you know, life isn't always a bed of roses and I know that shit hits the fan sometimes. I love him so dearly, but we are both have such strong characters and are moving so fast in what seems like two different directions in our passions. As different as they are, they also seem to run parallel to each other. This is a picture of us in Dhammagiri in India after sitting in silent meditation for 15 days with hundreds of people from all over the world. I felt on top of the world with my husband here, after our long course of meditation. We didn't see each other for the entire 15 days because we were in our own meditation cells and in different sections of the facility.



He is my hero, my teacher, my biggest supporter and my best friend. He inspires me more than anyone on the planet. I am in awe of the things he does. Everything I am doing in life is because he has been cheering me on telling me that I can do it. I am inspired when I am with him and I feel like anything is possible. So what's the problem?

So much energy is going out in the directions of our own purposes on the planet. I believe I am in that groove and so is he. But I think, in our endeavors for the greater good, we sometimes forget about each other and our need to nurture our own relationship.

I know it is just a passing thing. Things bubble up sometimes and it is good that they do. It makes me see that attention needs to be given to this beautiful being who is now back from wherever he went and is sitting on the sofa quietly.

It's funny, when shit hits the fan these days, it does so in a very quiet and respectful way. I think I'll go hug my husband now.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely honest post Kathy. I know what you mean when we get caught up purusing our own 'grooves' it sometimes is the expense of our most important relationships... being aware of this is the most important thing. Trust you guys will get back in your relationship groove xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often tell myself to do what is right in front of me,and to also remember that our love ripples out like waves on a pond.
    When my husband and I are loving and honouring each other, then it is a gift for the children to experience that love.It then continues to flow out to the rest of our extended family and friends and greater community etc.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactlt what you mean...reconnecting with the one you love,and just having fun is bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace & Love to you both.

    Thank you for being so open and sharing your humanity with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful post Katherine. Thanks for sharing it. It really is easy to forget to give attention to those around us, because we 'know' they'll be there tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for those most precious to us. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for your honesty. Hugs to both of you. Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate this post and I often find it easiest to relate to the posts where you openly share your own struggles, so thank you for doing that. I empathize with your challenge because I am a strong willed person married to an equally strong willed person. We often unintentionally neglect our relationship because we have individual interests, jobs that we are passionate about, and the biggest focus is our son. For us, every day presents the opportunity to learn how to balance our individual needs, our marriage, and the needs of our family as a whole. Often we manage to keep the equilibrium, but sometimes it gets complicated and the shit hits the fan, but love always prevails as it will in your situation. Again, thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think marriage is both the greatest challenge and greatest opportunity for personal growth. Mine challenges me daily but the rewards are incredible. Balancing self-fulfillment with honoring a partnership takes constant vigilance. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i read your make up post first, then had to go read this one to see what prompted it. Thank you for an inspiring and honest post.
    It's easy to miss the forest for the trees, as they say.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone. I'm finding that writing 365 lessons is a challenge. I can't hide from myself and only blog when I am feeling spectacular. With blogging everyday, I have to accept life's ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete