Friday, August 30, 2013

365 Inspirations—242: Face to Face Communication

Friends sharing an umbrella at beach in Seattle
"We maintain thousands more friends than any human being in history, but at the cost of complexity and depth. Every minute spent online is a minute of face-to-face time lost."—Daniel H. Wilson

Since Wednesday evening, we've had guests in our house. It's been wonderful. We've gotten a chance to spend face to face time with real live human beings. We've hugged, laughed, smiled, gone on walks, eaten, told stories, and spent quality time together. I think this is a rare thing these days.

Of course we have lots to do. We leave for a two-week trip to Peru the day after tomorrow and haven't thought too much about it, but I think we pretty much have all we need and are as ready as we'll ever be.

Being with friends has pulled me out of that 'list of things to do' mode and brought me into the present moment. It's made me realize that it's not the thinking of all the things you have to do that gets them done, it's being present in each moment for what is necessary that things are accomplished.

And sometimes it's good to surrender a little.

I surrendered to the time with my friends and it brought me so much joy.

Every time we are able to surrender to the moment at hand and just be with what is and even find joy in it, we open the door for more joy to enter our lives.

John Lennon said, "Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans." I don't want to be busy making other plans, I want to be here for life.

I want to spend face to face time with people. When we share the time with others, we expand our world.

Face to face time with friends brings us out of our little world of habits, plans and patterns and makes us see the bigger picture. When you add the new dynamic of another person, suddenly you see things through a larger filter.

After all, we don't live in a vacuum. Our lives are meant to touch each other. I really believe this.

It's this sharing, loving and 'live' interaction with one another that really opens us up and makes us see things in a new way.

Have you spent quality face to face time with anyone lately. Have you spent time with any new or old friends who have added a wider perspective to your life?


No comments:

Post a Comment